What it is: A way to keep track of IEP goal progress
Who it’s for: Teachers of students with IEPs
What you’ll need: Construction paper, a laminator, white labels
It is difficult to keep track of the progress made on every goal by each student. Here are some the steps to make it a team effort and therefore, easier:
- Choose a theme. I chose Recipe For Success because it was our school-wide API theme last year.
- Make a symbol of that theme (I have also used a bullseye and called it Reach Your Target in accordance with another school-wide API theme) on construction paper and laminate it. Make one for each student with an IEP.
- Choose two goals at a time and write them inside your symbol
- Choose a reward that will be given for completion of goals
- Sit down with each student and tell them what their goals are and what the reward will be upon completion. I use Awesome Achievement Certificates provided for free by BJs pizza which can be obtained here: http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/kids-and-families/awesome-achievement
- Create a template to record progress data
- Check in periodically (perhaps monthly) with short assessments to chart student progress. This also is very beneficial information to have when you are doing progress reports!
When goals are achieved, I present my awards in front of the whole class to get everybody excited. Erase and add new goals to your symbol as needed!
I hope this helps you!